In 1859, William Edgecumbe completed and opened his Great Northern Hotel, also known as the Old Stone Jug on Great North Road. Early subdivisions began from the 1860s along the peninsula – few were successful or encouraged denser settlement in the area.
From December 1867 until 1874, the area north of Great North Road was part of the Newton Highway District. South of the road was part of Arch Hill Highway District from 1871 until 1874. From that point, the Pt Chevalier Road Board district was formed, including Western Springs, and lasted until amalgamation with Auckland City Council in 1921.
The first store at Pt Chevalier dates from around 1867, tying in with the opening of the Auckland Provincial Lunatic Asylum just across the road that year. In the mid 1870s, the Auckland City Council obtained Motion’s property at Western Springs and established the municipal pumping station for the city’s water supply there.
Pt Chevalier’s Coronation Hall was built in 1911, later to serve from 1938 as the district’s second public library. The current library is on the old site.